With the final two octafinals-bid tournaments of the year in the books, most of the teams at the top of the standings for this year’s National Debate Coaches Association David P. Baker Award for Season Long Excellence have completed their resumes. The top spot in the standings came down to a single ballot in the final round of the Harvard National Invitational as Westminster’s Ellis Allen and Daniel Taylor bested St. Mark’s Rishee Batra and Alex Miles on a split decision to claim the tournament championship and (unofficially) the Baker Award.
The top twenty teams in the updated standings are listed below the fold.
- Westminster — Ellis Allen & Daniel Taylor, 1586.6
- St. Mark’s — Rishee Batra & Alex Miles, 1475.1
- Georgetown Day — Joe Krakoff & Ben Levy, 1432.0
- Beacon — Damiyr Davis & Miguel Feliciano, 1168.3
- Georgetown Day — David Herman & Isaac Stanley-Becker, 1160.4
- Damien — Nadeem Farooqi & Pablo Gannon, 1126.3
- Mountain Brook — Evan McCarty & Lee Quinn, 1125.3
- Carrolton Sacred Heart — Anna Dimitrijevic & Fabiola Urdaneta, 1120.9
- Gulliver Prep — Greg Adler & Jorge Toledo, 1080.0
- Kinkaid — Vivek Datla & Zach Rosenthal, 1078.3
- Glenbrook North — Alex Pappas & Zack Parker, 1068.7
- College Prep — Vinay Pai & Tatsuro Yamamura, 1045.7
- Homewood-Flossmoor — Donald Grasse & Margaret Strong, 916.7
- Pembroke Hill — Thomas Hodgman & Mihir Vedantam, 897.4
- Greenhill — Kush Patel & Chris Patterson, 894.8
- Lexington — Tyler Engler & Arjun Vellayappan, 878.5
- Greenhill — Akshay Bhushan & Lyall Stuart, 840.8
- Juan Diego Catholic — Aniela Butler & Augustus Schwab, 836.8
- Lexington — Jack Caporal & Michael Suo, 836.0
- Glenbrook South — Jacob Hurwitz & Marc Jacome, 823.3
Season-long totals were calculated for all teams that have appeared in the semifinals of at least one octafinals bid tournament as well as many other teams that have consistently been in the late elims. If you would like to know where are particular team stands, please let me know. A list of the tournaments that have been included in the rankings is available online.