I want to run a little bit of an experiment. What I want to do is run a debate camp lab style research assignment during the year. The final product will be released to the public along with a review of how things went (in my opinion). In order for this to work I will need 10 volunteers who wish to participate. More explanation below the fold
UPDATE 3- There has been some attrition so Hegemony and Hospitality are now once again available. The target date is still before the Glenbrooks so things have started already, the first assignment will be due probably Monday so if you are on the fence time is running out.
For the test run each kid will get 1 argument to write a 5 page file to. Each 5 Page file will consist of a 2 page 1NC of 3 cards and 2-3 analytics, 2 pages of written/blocked extensions for the neg block, and 1 page of outline for debating the issue in the 2NR. The 10 issues that will be covered are :
1. Predictions fail- Tetlock
2. Hospitality ethic/fasching
6. Economic decline/mead
7. Reject low probability/resher
8. Social Services coming now/non uniques da
9. diseases cause extinction/general
10. terrorism causes US retaliation
11. Free trade solves war
The Bold are now taken- I’ll be doing free trade as the demo.
1. everything must be done using the debate synergy system, so if you can’t get that to work this isn’t for you
2. This will be made public, so you can’t use evidence from your team that people would be angry about you revealing
3. There is a lot of camp evidence on these issues and some of it is really good. While we will want the best cards possible and that may mandate using a good card from camp emphasis will be on original research
This will go in 3 waves. For each wave you will get an email from me with an outline of what I want you to do and an example. Then you will do the work and send it to me for review. For the next wave you will get back your work with comments done in microsoft word and some new instructions for what to do next. Each wave will last about 1 week ending hopefully before the glenbrooks.
If you would like to participate please post a comment with your:
-what argument you want to do
-why you should be picked
I have no idea what the demand will be for this, so its possible only 5 kids will do it and get their pick, or maybe 20 will want it and then I will pick who gets in based on some random combination of first come first served and strength of reasoning.